Thursday, October 3, 2013

Blog 6: Now Add Type!

I know that the human brain is drawn to text; my certainly is.  Now that we are beginning our CD cover project, we are getting to add a layer (or more) or text as we learn to incorporate type.  I see already that I have two problems:
(1. my trial of creative cloud expired;
(2. I'm lagging behind on the learning curve in learning about masking and remembering the fine points of drawing lines for type to follow.

Here are my very rudimentary creations so far:
This images was created from a photo I took at the Weymouth Center for the Arts in Southern Pines last February where I did a writing residency. We were pleasantly surprised on Saturday morning when riders and hounds arrived for a fox hunt.

I used the images and a little Powerpoint voodoo to make note cards for my writing group members.
I am also working on a street scene as part of my CD project.  This is a photograph of Rogers Department store, on the corner of Court Street and Mobile in Florence, Alabama, my hometown.  T. S. Stribling won the Pulitzer Prize for his novel The Store, loosely based (and not loose enough for some of the natives) on the Rogers family.  My father-in-law worked here from the time he came into town from the farm at eighteen, eventually managing the furniture department before leaving to open his own store Posey Furniture Co.

The Rogers family closed the store (to much chagrin) more than fifteen years ago and the building sat empty for awhile. My son and father run a haberdashery across the street. New York designer Billy Reid moved his flagship store to the same block when his wife decided she preferred small town life.  My own first job was in an office just up Mobile Street. The plaza there is closed during one week in August for the W. C. Handy Music Festival. 

 This third image also originated as a photograph I took at Weymouth Center.  While the scene here is rather serene, my most recent memories include tents, food, dancing, and other revelry on the lawn during a September 28 wedding, most of which I watched with my friends from the upstairs windows.




While I'm working:  Here is another playful attempt:

1 comment:

  1. These are super! The first one looks like the cover of a magazine. Really nice work, Nancy.

    I really like the colorful department store pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete