Friday, October 11, 2013

Blog 7: A Scanner Darkly

Here are the directions for this blog post, which I will remove once my work is complete:

A Scanner Darkly – Blog Assignment 7
-          Using a scanner as an image capturing device
-          Thinking in terms of non-representation
-          Looking for successful compositions
Using random collage material – old magazines, material found on the ground, old photos, etc. – make an arrangement on a scanner bed to capture a large image – 8 x 10 x 300dpi.
Next, using the crop tool, set to 4.75 x 4.75, look for and crop a minimum of three images.  These images may be used for your CD Design project, if you wish.
Finish the work how you see fit then post the images to your blog site.
Due by Thursday, October 17.

The scanner in the room proved a bit uncooperative, so I have been trying to do some work at home, putting my massive folders of torn magazine images to good use--finally.  I recognize that at times I have trouble going for the fully nonrepresentational.  I also have a fondness for words, so they may creep in.  One challenge I see is how to take someone else's image and make it my own.

I am also having some trouble getting the "dafonts" to load form my flashdrive to Photoshop.  In class, I can usually download and use it, but at home I am still limited to Photoshop Elements (and I see now why it is less expensive, since it does less!).  I'm
also trying to see how to set the cropping tool for 4.75" by 4.75".  (And I feel very uncomfortable--or British--leaving that last period after the inches sign.)

I think the hardest parts of the CD assignment are:
(1. to make what I see in my head materialize;
(2. to stop coming up with more and more different ideas and to start fine-tuning.





















































































I have a number of other colleges from which to work:























































1 comment:

  1. Some neat pictures you have here. My favorites are the lady with the doll, the parrot, and the one with the monkeys. My absolute favorite is the collage with the bird, music sheet, fork, etc. For some reason I keep looking back at that one.

    ReplyDelete