Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Blog 5: Music Video


I have always been fortunate to share my love of music with my children.  While they have developed wide interests, we have always enjoyed playing the "listen to this" game.  John, my middle child, my oldest son, has more similar music tastes, though. I'm sure the time he logged at ASU had an impact too. We are both devoted WNCW listeners, and I took him to his first Merlefest.

Now John is living back in our hometown, Florence, Alabama--the famed Muscle Shoals area.  While I was growing up, the music coming out of the area was at a height.  The Eagles, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney--everyone came here to record.  FAME studio had a horn section that drew lots of recording artists, particularly when they were trying to break out of a mold or a slump.

The area is experiencing a renaissance these days, producing such groups and artists as Drive-by Truckers (including Patterson Hood, son of David Hood) , Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, The Civil Wars, and the Secret Sisters.  "Funky" Donnie Fritts, songwriter and longtime side man for Kris Kristofferson is a local. The Alabama Shakes hail from just up Highway 72 in Athens. 

Jon Davis, a friend of my son, has played with lots of the local musicians and with the Bottletree Band.  He played recently at one of Dick Cooper's infamous parties that was covered by Rolling Stone magazine (linked above). Jon has just released his first solo CD, Hint of a Southern Drawl, accompanied by several other local musicians, including Dylan LeBlanc (who's had his songs recorded by the likes of Emmylou Harris).


Listening to Jon's music reminds me of the lesson I learned so long ago:  most good musicians are just ordinary people with enough talent and drive to take it to the next level. How nice when it produces an album I love to play as I drive!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment