Thursday, September 5, 2013

Blog 3: A Work in Progress

Blog 3 Assignment:
 
As you'll see in the text below--my prewriting for this blog--my biggest challenge with this assignment has been selection (not the Photoshop tool, but the actual process of working through all my photographs and deciding what to do first. The picture above represents just a few minutes of work, just a few clicks, and a little help from my friend Thomas.
 
I started with a picture of a grate, then added a picture of a wagon wheel taken a year or so ago at a vineyard/winery in Valdese. (Who knew?)  After working through some blending modes, I added one more layer, the line of geese flying across the page (originally across Shoal Creek in North Alabama.) As long as I took trying to complete my first visual pun, it was actually relaxing to work with layers and blending.  I'm ready to work more on my puns (see below and you'll see why) but I imagine I will have to tear myself away from Photoshop this weekend to grade papers and to handle routine household chores.
 
 
(I must confess that this would be more correctly called a Freudian petticoat.  The slip options just showed too much cleavage for poor Sigmund.)
 


Lets make some art…
Take artistic photos of subjects of your choice.
Take photos of textures (close up shots of old deteriorated things, rust, paint coming off an old wall, crumpled up paper, old pages from books, texture is everywhere)
Combine the textures with the photos to add mystery to the content of the work.  The steps are simple but the results can be profound.   Add a texture layer to a photo you have taken then change the blending mode of the texture layer – Done!  Make three and upload them to your blog then write a little about where the images came from and how you made them.

I am toying with a lot of pictures I've taken over the last two or three years, many unwittingly just for this assignment.  Before I start layering, I'll add a few of the photos I'm considering.  Some are closeups of shadows and light through windows or grates; some are architectural details. I have dozens from which I must choose.

1 comment:

  1. Birdies! I love the first pic. And I thought you wouldn't top that one (since I love birds) but your pink-dress-cigar-smoker takes the cake. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete