Thursday, August 22, 2013

Computer Arts Assignment 8/20--a blog post in progress

We were asked to explore the gallery on the Computer Arts web site to get a feel for the type of work that attacts us.  I selected a few of my favorites, saved them to a file, and then choose one for this first blog post.
The one I chose is "Let's Go Get Lost" by Istvan Daniel Vasil, Hungarian artist, which was posted on the Computer Arts site in Dec. 2012. As he points out in the brief bio on this site, he likes "clean shape, typography, strange colours (sic), [and]various textures."
 
I know something about what draws me to visual images because of my own observations and those of my sister Amy. She sells a line of women's clothes and sees a pattern to my preferences.

  Without sounding cliche, instead  perhaps a little metaphorical, I know I am drawn to type, to words.   I also like bold color and  the suggestion of texture. 

The imag by Vasile I selected (at the top) "Let's Go Get Lost" incorporates a balance of color and black and white, images (photographic, it appears) and type. In fact, the text is the only color in this picture, providing a sharp contrast.

 I also like his use of perspective, the lane growing small and narrow toward what is actually the center of a circle.  The image at first seems symmetrical, but the variation in the trees, and the edge of a dark figure to the right add to the mystery and asymmetry of the picture.  According to the online post, this was one of a series of 12 posters produced for a New York retailer.
When I look for other examples of his work, I found art unlike this particular picture.  Many of the images I found, especially a group labeled as Moszvka, used what appears to be paper cutting, sometimes even three dimensional.  He seems to use a completely different technique in these works. The pictures seem to play visual tricks, such as the words falling off the page or the musical notes piling up below. On the other site where I found his work, he noted that he was influenced by magical realism and by travel. These images certainly reflect the magical realism.






1 comment:

  1. These trick photography photos are quite interesting. I like the book and music notes very much, but there is something about that dripping paint photo that pulls me in.

    ReplyDelete