Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Portrait: Part II

Working on the portraits project makes me aware of  how much I have to learn.  I find that if I try a process and then repeat it two or three times, I am more likely to remember how I did it. I am also getting more comfortable with experimenting, knowing that I can do and undo.

The self portrait is most challenging because I find the close-up view daunting.  (Who is that woman with the furrowed brow?)  I don't mind smile lines around my eyes, but those forehead lines, made as I read, are not as endearing.  I also find that when I take picture of people (which I am always doing) who are reluctant subjects, I tend to say, "Don't worry. I can Photoshop that out."  I've had requests to make people look younger, slimmer, with "fewer chins."

Here are my first few self portrait attempts. Be on the lookout. More are sure to follow.
I have also been working on my portrait of Melissa McCarriher (Did I spell it right, Melissa?)  The challenge was getting the entire face. Her nose didn't always show up when I got the eyes, and the mouth didn't work. I finally learned to make the most of the magic of layers!

No comments:

Post a Comment